Monday, November 28, 2011

Twas the night...


Twas the night before Christmas
Mom had just waxed the floor
No sounds could be heard
Only dad’s constant snores

The fat cats were sleeping
On the couch made of leather
And the two black dogs were dreaming
On the floor together

The glistening from the colored lights
That hung on the mantle
Complimented the shimmering glow
Of each scented candle

Covering one of the frosty windows
Was the crooked, heavy tree
It shone so bright all night long
For everyone to see

Outside the white blanket
Kept building inch by inch
And the wind that whistled evilly
Sounded like the mean old grinch

The cinder, soot, and embers
That were dying with the fire
Still crackled, popped, and sizzled
But given time would retire

Then a sudden thump above me
Made its way to my small ear
And my eyes widened slowly
For I knew that HE was here

A rush of mixed emotions
Began twirling in my gut
I laid there still amongst my friends
Mr. Sugar, Mrs. Oatmeal, and Mr. Walnut

But it is I that am most commonly eaten
It is I Mr. Chocolate Chip
When taken with a glass of milk
I’m more delicious with every sip!

He eased himself down the chimney
In a way so quiet, so sure
He knew what he was here to do
He had done this all before

After watching the back of his red suit
For only a short while
His task of unloading presents was done
Then he looked at me with a half smile

I tried to hide, I tried to move
But no legs were given to me
Slowly he tiptoed into the kitchen
I shut my eyes so I wouldn’t see

I heard a squeak, then silence
Followed by a big kaboom!
This sound made me tremble
And shook the unmoved room

I steadily opened one of my eyes
And watched him quickly leave
I was so happy that this man in red
Would be far, far away from me

His black shiny boots and silver belt buckle
His cherry cheeks and white hair
Of all the scared cookies he encountered this night
I was the one whose life was spared

Now I know I’m just a single cookie
I know what I was made for
But I’ve never felt so relieved in my life
Thank God, mom waxed the floor


MERRY CHRISTMAS!!



No comments:

Post a Comment