Monday, November 28, 2011

Lonely Christmas

I sit here, now alone, on the cold wooden floor
Looking up at the Christmas tree
Like I used to do as a child on these howling nights.
Its flashing lights and snow white angel
Stare back down at me.
Red, green, blue, and silver
My eyes water from not blinking.
They start to blur and remind me of a long time ago.
A glittery tear drops from my eye
As my memory goes back to when my sister was alive.
We would sleep under the huge, tilted tree
Laughing, telling stories, refusing to sleep.
Our stomachs were filled with butterflies in hopes
That we would see a glimpse of him in the shadows on the wall.
The pasty moon peeked through our window
Past the tree and down our giggling bodies,
The wailing wind blew whining noises under the front door
But together…
We were never afraid.
Then late into the night, our eyes would give up
And we would fall asleep, hand in hand waiting
Waiting, waiting for a thump, a clatter, a jingle.
Then the morning would come.
Oh how I miss her; Christmas Eve just isn’t the same.
So I lay here on the cold foor, alone, and blinking lights
Blanket my body as my hands remain open
Hoping, hoping, hoping to feel her hand in mine,
Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment